Monday, October 8, 2012

100 Years Young.

Aunt Ruth on her 100th birthday with me.


This past weekend my husband and I traveled over to Reading to visit with my Aunt Ruth at Berks Heim, were Aunt Ruth’s family had arranged a get together to celebrate Aunt Ruth’s birthday.  It was wonderful.  There were relatives there that I haven’t seen for years.  It was especially nice, though to see Aunt Ruth, and by gum, she gave me the dickens for not coming to see her more often,  I don’t know for sure that she knew who I was, and she may have thought I was my mother.  But she did say my name which isn’t that easy to say, so I am hopeful that she really did know who I was.
Cousin Lori, Uncle Charlie, Aunt Jackie,Cousin Donna, and Aunt Ruth 

I can remember when we were kids, our families would all go away together, I am sure you all can remember these things from your childhood, especially if you are in your late forty’s  or older. 
Lori, Donna, Aunt Ruth

We used to go to the shore together, which would have been in the 60 and in to the 70’s, we rented a bunch of little cottages all together and each family had their own cottage. Sometimes we had a meal together, but mostly we were on the beach all together and then other times the families did their own thing.  It was wonderful.  And also in the spring sometimes and always in the fall we would go to Deer Camp together.  This was a hunting camp in Bald Eagle State Park, in the middle to the northern section of central Pennsylvania.  We used to have a wonderful time.
That was when the families were still on the young side and when the true Matriarchs and Patriarchs of the families were still living and in capable health.  When they still drove and didn’t take any bologna from their own grown children.  Those really were the good old days, and I think that all of my peers with in our family would agree.
I hope that someday I may become the kind of matriarch that my Grandmother was.  And looking back on things, thru adult eyes, I believe that it probably wasn't that easy to get all of the families together on the same weeks during the summer and for those weekend trips to hunting camp.  But it was done!
Well I hope that all of you had a blessed weekend, I know I did, and we also got to see our youngest grandchild Levi, even if it was just for a little bit it was worth the little side trip to see Samuel and Mary and Levi, on our way back from Reading....
So God bless you all and make sure that you make the conscious descision to be a blessing to someone today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts on what is written here.