Friday, October 19, 2012

How Do You Feel About Ignorance



Harper's Ferry, West Virginia

Me personally, I don't like it one bit!  But I would really like it if you would think upon this for a moment or two, for there are several types of ignorance.
1.  There is the state of lacking knowledge.
And frankly I believe that that is what we think of most of the time when we consider using this word, however...
2. Resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence.
This is the one that I think of most often as well as the last one that states...
3. Unaware, uninformed. (As in not taught)


Now let's step back from this for just a moment.  When I was considering what to write about this morning, oh and I just asked God to guide this writing this morning, I should have done that before I started, maybe then I wouldn't have struggled at first, anyway what I was struggling with was...what pictures to use in this article. I have to have pictures that are somewhat related to the text.  So this is what I came up with. 

If you can't figure out the relevance of this I will tell you, do you know who John Brown was?  He was a man who intensely hated slavery.  And he and a band (group) of men attacked the armory that was originally built in Harper's Ferry.   Brown wanted to seize weapons to start an uprising to free the slaves in the south.  John Brown was an emotionally charged man, who believed very strongly that slavery was wrong.  I don't believe that John Brown was ignorant I believe that people who believe that they can hold another human being as "property" is ignorant.  So this is why I choose these pictures.

Harper's Ferry is one of the places that I like to go to take pictures.  But it is also a perfect example of the way that peoples minds can work.  It is very difficult for me to understand how one person can find it plausible to take another person captive, as in slavery.  During war time, this I can understand.  But these people were brought to this country for this express purpose and I find this to be ignorant.

When I say that someone is ignorant, I am generally not being very nice.  This is my way of saying that someone is treating someone else perhaps with indifference, placing themselves above that other person...to me this is rude. It is like fingernails on a chalk board, as we used to say, in other words it really gets my goat!  How people can choose to treat other people like this I have yet to understand.  Perhaps it is because of the way they were reared.  But to me, this is neither correct nor proper.  And it can be very demeaning and hurtful to the person on the receiving end.

I don’t like to see this kind of behavior in anyone, it makes me sad and I personally find it difficult to deal with, especially the few times that it has been aimed at me.  I consider myself to be strong enough to deal with most things, but when a person’s character is under attack and unfortunately this is generally the whole point of this type of behavior, it does one thing, and one thing only, it hurts people. 

However, I don’t think that when some people behave in this fashion, they realize that they are being so terribly hurtful.  If while reading this you see yourself and the way that you may behave at times, well I hope this will give you pause to reflect and change the way that you behave.  Especially if you call yourself a Christian, because you are helping to give us all a bad name and I don’t wish to have my name tarnished.  So buck up and change!

You know it ……. Go and be a silent blessing today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts on what is written here.