Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Is Speed Good

Life on the Farm or
Ruthee visiting with Bill.

Facebook is such an interesting way of communicating.  This morning when my page loaded I saw that a new child of God was just born last evening at 6:30 PM to the youth pastors, from our church, Harvest Chapel.  I also saw with sadness that an internet friend of mine, from down in Alabama, lost a dear friend, my daughter was watching a movie with her fiancé, and another dear friend is celebrating her birthday!
Such a confluence of emotions. 
But God is able to help us with all of these things.  If we try to deal with all these emotions at the same time we would be lost, totally lost, but God has given us the ability to compartmentalize these issues and deal with them one at a time even though we deal with them very quickly; I wonder since the advent of the internet and our speeding up of everything are our feelings less sincere, when we have trained ourselves to express them and jump around so quickly?
I can’t help but to wonder about this…
I did put congratulations on for the new baby and I meant it, but consider something.  We used to find out about a birth from the newspaper, or from a friend on the phone, we then either, sat down and wrote a note, or we went to the store and picked out an appropriate card, and then added a note and mailed this to the new parents.  Now in the space of about 30 seconds, we have congratulated and sent off our wishes to the new parents.  Does this make the wishes any less genuine?  I don’t think it does, but the thought of this new child has really consumed so much less thought that it doesn’t seem that it’s possible that it isn’t less meaningful.  I will definitely have to evaluate this and discuss this with my friends, and I am thinking, that the younger people will think that this is just fine to send congratulations over the web, and the older ones will be in favor of taking the time for a card or a note.  Let me know what you think.  I don’t think that either is bad, it just shows what we have grown up with, verses what is happening now, but remember my dear friends that this is happening now because we have allowed it to happen.  It doesn’t necessarily mean that it is good.
I work in an office setting as many of you already know.  And it is amazing to me at how quickly the world of business now operates.  If you need a document quickly you either fax it or scan it and email, payrolls country wide are all going electronic, fewer and fewer people deal with cash, money goes into the bank electronically and it comes out of your bank electronically.  Faster and faster goes the pace of life, but is it good?  I am not so sure that it is.  In fact I am coming to think very strongly that it is not the best….
I am usually a very positive person, but this really has me thinking, and I just reread this past line or two, and I have decide that this doesn’t make me less positive just thoughtful at the moment. 
The day is dawning and it looks like it will be cloudy and raining today.  So all you parents out there be aware that the children may be a little cranky today.  And maybe some of the adults that you are around will be as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts on what is written here.